Sunday, April 18, 2021

How did I miss this?

 

 

The second edition of This Very Ground - now subtitled Victory or Death - was released in a Kickstarter last year by Brigade Games and the original author, Keith Stine, and I just found out about it! Don't know how I missed it, though there seemed to be relatively little fanfare around it. This Very Ground was the set of rules that started my gaming journey in the French and Indian War. And it has been a journey.

I lived in the Twin Cities area from 1996 to 2001, and then moved to Tulsa, OK for work. I traveled some as part of my duties and on a trip to Minneapolis I had an opportunity to revisit an old haunt, our FLGS, The Source. It was on this trip that I purchased This Very Ground after a quick perusal in the store. I had to cross the I-35 bridge afterward, and later that afternoon while sitting in the hotel bar, I saw on the CNN national broadcast that the bridge had collapsed! Wasn't actually a "close call" as I had crossed it about 2 hours prior to its collapse, but it was a fluke that I was in the city at all.

The games in the early posts of this blog were all played with This Very Ground, a fun set of rules with innovative approaches to alternating unit activation and "volume of fire" representation and reloading. The use of D10s and percentile morale mechanics made it scalable, too; unit sizes from 5 to 25 or more figures were easily managed.

So why did I move to another set of rules? I eventually found the morale system to be really ineffectual, and Officers didn't do much other than rally off Unit Disruptions, which happened so frequently in my experience that it had little effect on the game overall. But the rest of the game was elegant, mechanically consistent, had good period flavor and was fun to play.

Lo and behold, these are the two areas that received the most attention in Victory or Death! The movement, firing and formation mechanics are basically intact from the original edition, but the command and morale systems got a thorough revamp. Activation is still alternating, but Officers use Command Points to Activate Units and effect Unit performance with a few appropriate Commands. Morale still uses Disruptions as the main "control" lever, but now Officers, and even the Units themselves, have more options and responsibilities for managing them.

One aspect of the original rules I really liked was the Testing to Charge mechanic, and how hard it was to actually get into a Melee, and that once a Melee was initiated, it was a one-turn fight to the death. That mechanic has been modified - and may not have been simplified - but it is still in Victory or Death.

Like all the other "black powder" rule sets we've seen of late, the focus of Victory or Death has been expanded beyond the French and Indian War, but has been limited to conflicts in North America. Rules and army lists are provided for King Philip's War, French & Indian War, American War for Independence and the War of 1812.

All of the rules that were released separately after the first edition covering Cavalry, Cannons & Boats are now collected in Victory or Death and updated to the new mechanics where needed. No additional volumes to buy!

The one thing I find lacking is a unit deployment system. There are 4 scenarios included - one for each of the 4 conflicts mentioned previously - and you can extrapolate a basic deployment system from the rules in all four, but deployment is so key to a game's play I find this a big miss. Again, the deployment system from Sharp Practice 2 might have to be borrowed. 

And the caveat: I haven't played This Very Ground: Victory or Death yet, but am really looking forward to putting "the old friend" on the table.

While we're on the subject of deployment, another of the Too Fat Lardies' (with Reisswitz Press) rules for WW2 deserve a mention.


The Patrol rules are really fun and create a real sense of the "fog of war." Unfortunately for me, they are aimed - as usual - at post-Normandy combat, so I probably won't even try 'em out until they release rules for the Western Desert.

Lastly - and certainly not "least" - I got my second CoVid vaccination shot! Hopefully that means a facemask-to-facemask game in May or June. Bring on "the normal."

See ya.

5 comments:

  1. You're killing me Smalls, pick a set of rules already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I'm sticking with Muskets & Mohawks. But you know me. . . I have to check out everything. FOMO and the Butterfly Brain.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete