Sunday, March 19, 2017
Bruce and I played a Big Battle game of DBA 3.0, in 15mm, this weekend. I didn't take any photos so pulled a "stock" photo out of the archives. . .
I used my Later Carthaginians (II/32a), maxing out the Libyan Spears and Numidian Light Horse options. Bruce played the early version of the Pontic Mithridatic (II/48) army, with Pikes instead of imitation legionaries as Blades. Not quite contemporaries, but very close in spirit!
Hannibal attacked Mithridates on a nearly featureless plain. Our foot troops were quite similar - Pikes, Spears, Warband and Auxilia - so fighting along the infantry lines could therefore go either way. I decided to gamble with the 6 Numidian Light Horse elements by deploying them, along with all of my Cavalry - 3 elements plus the command's General - on my left flank opposite the 3 Pontic Knights and some Light Horse, and rushed them immediately. It was scary at first, but then the Numidian Light Horse (with a second rank in support) Quick-Killed all of the Pontic Knights and broke that command. I lost 2 Light Horse during the fight, but the remaining Numidians and the Cavalry then regrouped and fell on the flank of the center infantry line, killing the General of that command and helping to break it while Hannibal himself held off the Pontic Light Horse on the opposite flank. Both of my flank commands were within 1 element of becoming demoralized when the Pontic army broke, so a well-fought contest on both sides.
DBA 3.0 is, in my not so humble opinion, the very best version of a great set of rules. They really shine in the Big Battle format with multiple commands.
Thursday, March 16, 2017
Monday, February 27, 2017
The "Game Room" at Castle FusterCluck is actually more of an "Exercise Room" - or dojo - at the moment, but at the end of one my workouts I caught myself just staring at the mats I put on the floor. . .
. . . and seeing starships!
Still not even close to the actual scale, but gettin' there! And I get to play on the floor : )
Thursday, February 9, 2017
New washer bases and magnets applied, next step was to add some modeling clay to the bases to add some "slopage" and a way to adhere some ground foliage.
Step Two will include adding the brown ground cover and then moss and leaves.
Friday, January 13, 2017
Happy New Year! I'm kicking off 2017 with a couple of projects featuring magnets. First up is Magnetic Trees for the French and Indian War. I used some "super" magnets from Home Depot to make it a little easier to use the "giant" trees in my forest terrain.
Here's how they work currently; the "trees" have holes drilled in them to accept a bolt that inserts up from beneath the cork surface. The bolt holds the tree loosely so it doesn't rock the surface if it's bumped during play. Works well enough. . .
But "threading" around 40 bolts a game is kinda laborious so I'm making some improvements. I'm adding big washers to the base of the trees (superglue, of course) to add some stability and eventually I will landscape them to add a bit more "woodsiness" to the overall look. After gluing on the washer I glue on the ring magnet - this leaves the original drilled hole clear, in case I ever want to go back to the bolts.
I embedded the small round magnets in the cork base, in the holes originally made for the bolts, secured with, yes, more superglue.
Next up, my 1/2500-scale adaptation of Star Trek: Attack Wing. I'm using magnets to attach the spaceship models to the bases. I'll post later about the project in more detail, but here's a shot of the actual packaged Attack Wing models next to their 1/2500 Enterprise-era counterparts.
The Andorian Kumari and Vulcan Ni'Var are Eaglemoss models and the fuselage of the Vulcan D'Kyr is part of a BadAzz resin kit yet to be built. Only a few of the Eaglemoss models are the right scale; these two are.
I'm using the Omni-Stands from Cor-Sec, that have a magnetic option. A big ROUND magnet that let's you position your model in various "flying" positions.
Key is adding the "Small Mount" to the model, which is then attracted to the magnet on the top of the flight stand. A hole needs to be drilled in the bottom of the model, and the Small Mount glued into the hole.
Here's the primed resin model of the Enterprise NX-01 from Federation Models, with the Small Mount glued in place.
Here is the Small Mount attached to the two Eaglemoss models, and to the AMT styrene model Reliant, which is actually completed, and the AMT K'vort Bird of Prey, which still needs its final painting details.
Wishing you a great 2017; buckle up!
Saturday, December 17, 2016
The basement is all done now and it's great to have all the construction cleaned up. Luckily it wrapped up just in time to host our Thanksgiving company. Also nice to have my hobby work space back, too. To celebrate I started work on some moss-covered "fallen" old growth trees to get some more "green" into my F&IW forests.
Can't wait to get 'em on the table.
Sunday, October 30, 2016
Made ya look! Construction is underway at Castle FusterCluck.
Since I can't get to any of my projects, I've been doing some rules research. I am currently fascinated by THW's Nuts Big Battle rules. I like the scale (company-sized battles) and the relatively marker-free environment. I think they would work great for micro-armor; I'd just have to adapt for early North Africa.
I'm also quite taken with THW's Future Tales; pulp action in a science fantasy universe. For Barsoom, of course. . . who knows if Modiphius will ever actually get to the miniatures rules.