Saturday, February 17, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day, Mom


WARNING: This post contains no wargaming content. I trust you'll be patient with me.

Instead, I am using my first post of 2018 to send a slightly-belated Valentine's Day wish to my mom. It seems appropriate that I send this wish out into the aether of the interweb. . .

Mom died on January 2nd after contracting influenza. She went into the hospital on Christmas Eve morning - a young 79-year-old - and was gone in a matter of days. I still feel shocked by the profound suddenness of her death. 

My mother, Fran, was loving, funny and fun-loving, and dedicated to our family. Growing up, Mom "parented" me when I needed it, guided me when I asked for it, and was fun to be around most of the rest of the time. I haven't lived in the same state as my mother for more than 20 years, but I miss her every day in so many different little ways. 

This is one of my favorite photos of Mom. Of course I didn't know the person in this photo - she is very young - but I feel her spirit in the smile, and the strong way she loves her dog, holding it close but getting it to do what she wants it to do - look at the camera.

I love you, Mom.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming. . . thanks for your patience.



4 comments:

  1. Geez, I'm really sorry to hear that. What a shock.

    Best wishes to you at such a sad time, and take good care of yourself.
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Aaron - I really appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baron - your presence at the service really meant a lot to me. You're right again... she was a great lady!

    ReplyDelete