Sunday, June 30, 2019

Red Alert: Commands & Colors in space


Even though a fan of Command and Colors: Ancients, I was surprised to learn about the Kickstarter for a "Space Fleet Warfare" version of the game. Seemed like it might be a "stretch" for the system. So I downloaded the rules from the Kickstarter site and quickly saw that not only wasn't it a stretch, it was actually a pretty good way to portray the "relative positional" nature of what I think battles between capital ships might look like, as opposed to gaming them like "dogfighting" smaller, fighter-type ships. Could this be the way to play with my Star Trek models? Maybe. . .

I jumped in with both feet and got all the unlocked supplements, too. There are lots of reviews and "unboxing" videos on the web, so I won't go into detail, but I will say the components are very nice. . .















The supplements are impressive, too. More ship types, terrain tiles and additional rules. And dice!






 The board - mat, in this case - is nice and big. Fills up half the ping-pong table we play on.


 And it works with my 1/2500-scale Star Trek models.



Rather than play with multiple models per hex as provided, I'll play with a single model with multiple "shields" instead.

Do you have your ticket yet for the Wiley Wargame Weekend? Whatcha' waitin' for?



See ya!

 

3 comments:

  1. I looked at this, but didn't bite. And yes, I have my ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about jumping into this but I haven't played a lot our last year or so. Maybe when I get plugged into the Dallas scene, then I'll buy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your move to Dallas, Jamie! Please stay in touch : )

      Delete