Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Back from Warlord Open Games Day!


I agreed to put on a game of Black Powder - several games, actually - at the Warlord Open Games Day in Oklahoma City last weekend. The Baron agreed to help run the games since he has more Black Powder experience than I do. He had only one request. . . stop on the way to Oklahoma City for the Fried Pies that Lead Addict recommended. Of course we stopped. And ate fried pies. Several, in fact. The weekend was off to a rockin' 100-degree start.

With help from The Baron and The Boy, we got set up in time to run the first game at 8pm, Friday night, even with the quick shuffle forced on us after we discovered, despite my packing lists and double checking, I'd left 3 critical terrain tiles behind at home in Minnesota. Luckily I packed a few extra so we were able to rearrange a few tiles and create a workable layout, but astute viewers may notice the terrain doesn't quite match the map from a couple posts ago!

Here are the previous two posts for a refresher on the scenario, etc: 
http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2016/06/ready-to-roll.html 
http://cluckamok.blogspot.com/2016/05/next-up-warlord-us-open-games-day.html


Here are the French forces as they arrive from the South:



Here is the British position as viewed from the North:




We had 3 players on each side, with The Boy taking one of the French commands while I played the British-allied Indians on the British left flank. It was a close game, but the British Indians never really got into the fight and eventually the larger French units were able to force the British defenders from the breastworks. So we made two changes for the remaining games: we deployed the British Indians farther into the woods so they could get into the action more quickly, and we raised the defense factor of the units in the breastworks from 1 to 2. Both changes proved to be good ones in the following games.

Here are the photos from Game One. Games Two and Three will follow in later posts. Enjoy!


















A note on markers used. . . We used a white D4 per unit to track "hits," and switched to a red D4 when the unit became "shaken." The white cotton "smoke" denotes "disorder."


 

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes!!! What a great looking game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray! And thanks for game mastering, Baron!

    ReplyDelete